Saturday, January 14, 2012

Holiday Sewing

Now that the holidays are past, I can share some of the sewing I did for the holidays.  In reviewing my pictures, it's apparent that I didn't take all the pictures I meant to.

I made a couple sets of potholders - a set for my sister-in-law, and a set for my parents-in-law with a matching sightly larger hot pad.


This is the pair for my sister-in-law, with the accompanying baking dish.  I did an Ohio Star block and did simple in-the-ditch quilting.  In-the-ditch on a single Ohio Star can be done without starting and stopping, which was nice to figure out!  These were pieced, quilted, and machine-bound very quickly - I can work fast when I'm under a deadline!


The all-green set was for my in-laws: two potholders of hourglass blocks, and a hot pad with a larger Ohio Star (kind of visible in the picture below).  I didn't get a picture of any of these finished.


Under the trivet above is a doll quilt for my youngest sister-in-law.  She got a doll bed for her 18" doll from Santa, and this was made to go with it.  I went with the hot pink and dark pink because she loves them, but I tried to make it more sophisticated by contrasting them with greys.  I'm hoping that it grows up a little with her - at least as long as she's playing with dolls.  It's backed with a purple argyle flannel, which gives it a nice weight and drape without overdoing it with batting.


Last on my holiday sewing list were some drawstring gift bags.  These were literally last - I stayed up all night making them!  We flew to my parents' for Christmas, and I was determined that the TSA wouldn't interfere with me wrapping presents for my parents.  The solution - festive, handmade, reusable, search-friendly bags.  My mother loved hers, but I stole them back to fill up for the next time we travel.  I used the great tutorial from In Color Order, and more of these bags are definitely in my future!


I'm glad to get caught up on several secret projects - the last one is (finally) complete and was shipped out yesterday, so I will get to post on that one soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment